Sermons and Study Guides
Miss a week? Click one of the buttons below to view our sermon video archive or listen to previous audio.
You can also download our podcast in the iTunes store under "Waters Edge VB."
"The Holy Spirit Promised"
The Gospel of John
v. 15 - "If you love me, you will keep my commandments..."
2. The promised Holy Spirit is a helper, a counselor, and an advocate.
3. Jesus gives peace that cannot be found elsewhere.
v. 27 - "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you.”
2. What do you think of when you hear the word obedience? Are you aware of areas of disobedience to God in your life? What do you do with that?
3. What part of this week’s sermon stood out to you or impacted you the most?
1. Read John 14:15-31. When Jesus says, “If you love me,” is he talking about a love based solely in emotion (how you feel)? How does he expect love to be demonstrated?
What commands has Jesus given his disciples that they should follow? (See John 13:34-35 and Matthew 22:34-40 for some examples). What clue in this text shows that Jesus is talking about all of God’s revelation to us, not just specific commands that he gave his disciples?
If someone were to look at your life, would they conclude that you love Jesus by the way you keep his Word?
2. The word “helper” in verse 16 can also be translated “advocate”? What does an advocate do?
What else does the Holy Spirit do in our lives? (See Romans 8:14-16; Romans 8:26; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22; Ephesians 1:13-14; John 16:7-8, 13-14; Galatians 5:22-23.)
What does the Holy Spirit specifically do to help the disciples take the Gospel message forward? Read John 14:26. How does this help you understand the nature of the Bible? Read 2 Timothy 3:16 and 2 Peter 1:20-21.
3. Reread verse 27. How is the peace that Jesus gives different from anything the world can give? Have you experienced the peace of God? How so?