Sermons and Study Guides
Miss a week? Click one of the buttons below to view our sermon video archive or listen to previous audio.
You can also download our podcast in the iTunes store under "Waters Edge VB."
The Gospel According to John
“Jesus Speaks of Death”
I. The Necessity of Jesus’ Death
II. Losing your life in order to gain it
III. Walk in the light while you have the light
1. In this week’s passage, the topic of death comes up several times. Was death something that was talked about in your home growing up? What are some of your earliest thoughts about death?
2. The topic of our own “death” in terms of surrendering our life to Jesus comes up in this passage as well. If you have “died to yourself” in this way, how is your life different now?
3. What part of this week’s sermon stood out to you or impacted you the most?
1. Read John 12:20-21. John tells us that some Greeks (Gentiles) go to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover and they want to see Jesus.
What is significant about Jesus’ response, “The
hour has come”? What is he referring to? What has Jesus said about “his hour” prior to this point in the Gospel of John? See John 2:4; 7:6 & 8.
What does Jesus say about “his hour” from this
point forward in the Gospel of John? See John 12:27; 13:1; 16:32; 17:1.
2. Read John 12:25-26. What does Jesus say to those who would choose to follow him and be a part of his Kingdom?
Read Matt. 16:24-25; Mark 8:34-35; Luke 9:23-24 for similar teaching from Jesus. What does it mean to lose your life?
What are the promises, found in verse 26, that Jesus gives for those who choose to lose their life and follow Jesus?
3. Read John 12:27-36. What is Jesus warning against in vv. 35-36?
What other questions does this passage raise for you?